Monday 16 February 2015

So I've discovered I loved styling hair...


I recently completed a course at Greasepaint Make-Up School, London in Hair & Make-up for TV, Film, Theatre and Airbrushing.  At the start of 2014 I decided that I wanted to pursue a career in make-up and so after working as a hair assistant for the start of the year I started the course in September 2014.   I knew that I would love the make-up side of it but what surprised me the most was how much I loved styling and cutting hair. We spent a month of the course focusing on period hair and make-up, all the way from edwardian cottage loaf hairstyles through the 20's, 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's. I loved the historical detail in creating these looks and the detail that went into making sure it was exactly of the era.

Even though I had been working in a hair salon prior to the course so was used to handling hair as washing hair was one of the main jobs I was yet to actually style hair until I started the course.  The styles that you can create with hair are endless, it is a form of 3D modelling that I have fallen in love with, so much so that I am going back to Greasepaint to study Hair & Make-Up for Fashion.

Handling hair can be frustrating and impossible sometimes but the feeling when you get it and you have created something that you are proud of is second to none. On my first job since finishing college I was lucky enough to be able to do the hair and make-up for a local theatre production which just reassured me how much I love doing hair.  Those four weeks of the TV & Film course were definitely my favourite and if I could I would relive them in a second.


No comments:

Post a Comment